Monday, April 30, 2012

Me-Made May '12: It's Happening

Me-Made May starts tomorrow! Here's my pledge:
I, Alicia of Iron-On Maiden, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '12. I endeavour to wear a handmade dress or blouse/skirt each day for the duration of May 2012.
Basically, me-made items have to be what keep me from getting busted for public nudity this month. At least, that's how I'm thinking of it.

Like I mentioned earlier, my wardrobe's been a bit of a challenge of late, what with the changing seasons and my changing size. Also, I burned two weeks knitting instead of stitching. Oops.

But I've got a plan! A plan to quickly round out my available clothing. And here it is:

Monday: Finish the Glass Tiles Violet blouse.
I started this over the weekend, and it just needs hemming and buttonholes. Here's a sneak peek:



Tuesday: Alter the "Long Live the Queens" skirt.
This is a dirndl that needs to be sized down 5-6". Of course, all that means is gathering the waist tighter and reapplying the waistband! I unpicked the waistband yesterday so this should go quickly. (BTW, this got its name because only gay men have ever complimented it--but in really unexpected stop-me-on-the-street ways. Bless them.)


Wednesday: Finish the stripy seersucker blouse.
Last year, I spent an entire weekend matching stripes and painstakingly cutting out pattern pieces. And then I just left it on a hanger to languish--tsk, tsk. It just needs some self-drafted cuffs, one buttonhole fixed, and the buttons themselves.


Thursday: Fix and finish the Cordy Ginger skirt.
I need to do Sunni's magical zipper insertion to make this skirt work. But I've mucked with the zip enough already that the entire back seam needs redone. This will be a biggish job, I think.


Friday: Finish the English Garden dirndl.
Yet another half-finished project from last year, when my sewing confidence was much lower. Should be pretty straightforward, though.


So, if all goes according to plan, my closet will be five garments richer by the end of the work week! With all these bold patterns, mixing and matching outfits might still be a challenge. But I'll worry about that later.

1 comment:

  1. That's an impressive schedule! All these items look so lovely, I'm anxious to see them once they're finished!

    ReplyDelete